Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Infinite Sea Book Review

The Infinite Sea (The Fifth Wave #2)
By: Rick Yancey
Publication Date: September 16, 2014
Putnam Juvenile, 320 pages
Source: Bought it from B&N

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

-Description retrieved from Goodreads



Sorry, I broke my post everyday pact. But gosh, I was busy during the week because I constantly have to volunteer and ugh, just a lot of work in general. Also, I was out of town for two days so I didn't have direct access to a computer. But let's skip over these lousy excuses and start on the review.

The second book to the Fifth Wave. I really enjoyed the first book. I liked how Rick Yancey showed the true nature of humans and that they will do anything to survive. His first book was pretty deep because underneath all of the killing and scheming, he revealed that evil nature of humans. I don't want to get caught up too much in that topic, so let us go forward with this review.

This book focuses mainly on two point of views which are Cassie and Ringer. It does jump into other point of views, but most of the book are between the views of those two girls. There are mainly two different stories. One of them focuses on Cassie who is with the majority of the other characters and Ringer who is basically by herself.

The cover is okay, it doesn't blow me away. It has a cool-look to it and an aura of mystery, but nothing really stands out to me.

So the actual meaty part of the review. Overall, I liked this novel, I will admit there was a bit of confusion for me throughout this novel because a lot happened. I thought it was interesting for the author, Rick Yancey to include Ringer's point of view because the first book had Zombie's (Ben's) point of view. I thought Ringer's point of view was quite interesting and her character developed more depth and a backstory. I always thought Ringer was an intriguing character from book one and so getting more of her was enjoyable. I thought her part was a little confusing towards the end especially when the twist came that part I had to re-read again and probably another time. We also, got Cassie's point of view like in the first book and I liked Cassie's point of view and found it less confusing because it was more clear. Furthermore, Cassie had more side characters with her so that appealed to me more. Both views were interesting and continued to capture my attention. One thing, I didn't like was when the author bounced to other point of views that didn't belong to Ringer or Cassie because I was really confused and it threw me off. Also, I had to hard time keeping up with the side characters that doesn't include Evan Walker, Ben/Zombie or Nugget. I got them jumbled up, but if you're good about that, it won't bother you, but I'm bad at keeping who's who clearly. In the beginning of the novel, I felt like Cassie's point of view was more interesting than Ringer's and I was longing for Cassie's POV more, but towards the end, they both got equally interesting.

So onto the characters because I'm quite picky. I like Cassie's character in general; I liked in the first book and it continued in the second book. Ringer's character is a bit more difficult to like because she's so damn perfect or at least nearly. Ringer seems like that smart, beautiful and cold/mysterious person. So I felt Cassie was a lot easier to relate to her, but Ringer seems like that cool girl, you kind of idolized because you admire for being such a badass. I feel like Ringer and Cassie are pretty much opposites because Cassie is the compassionate one while Ringer can be cold-hearted. I've always liked Ben/Zombie and I feel like he's the one who adds the humor element of the novel and Evan, I've always had mixed feelings about.

I really recommend this series to any dystopian lovers because this is a good series. I think people who don't like dystopian would like this as well because I feel like this book has really good character building and get really deep on the psychological level.

One Page at a Time

-Skimmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment