Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Red Queen Book Review

Red Queen (Red Queen #1)
By: Victoria Aveyard
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Orion, 283 pages
Source: Bought it from B&N

The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre ofthose she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?    






This review has been long overdue because I finished this book on the first week of June, but I never posted a review for it. So sorry for being so late on this, but better late than never, right? So I do enjoy a good cinderella-esque premise which this story definitely has. It reminds me of the Selection and the Grisha series; it is basically a mesh of both of those series.

Red Queen is about a society where the color of your blood determines your rank in the hierarchy. There is silver and red bloods and silver bloods have special abilities. Also, the silver blood are the ones in the nobility ranks. Everyone else is red-blooded and most of them are pretty much poor. A girl who is red-blooded apparently has a power she had no knowledge of and so to keep calm of the people, she married off to one of the princes. And she meets a rebel group which she gains an interest in.

The cover is kind of dark and suspenseful which I like. It makes it look like a very violent novel and that blood does play a role. When I look at it, I think of like the cost of blood to get the crown which is kind of off.

So the meaty part of the review, my thoughts of the novel was that I liked it. I thought it was interesting and it drew me closer. There were definitely a few big twists throughout the novel that really caught my attention. And I would say that I'm quite eager to read the second book. I think the concept of their society is really interesting and the types of abilities the silvers have are pretty fascinating. I think it is a well-paced book and the author did a good job at timing everything, but again they left us on a cliffhanger as always.

Onto the characters! I thought Mare is okay, she wasn't my favorite character because she made a lot of stupid mistakes. I think I have a favorite character in this book, I did like one character, but that character ended up being something entirely different so my favoritism went down the toilet with that character. Cal is another character is I guess, I do favor, but he has some serious flaws that won't make me die-hard love him. So the characters all have a decent amount of flaws so it's hard to find a character who absolutely favor.

I recommend this to anyone who likes the Grisha series because it is pretty similar premise. Also, anyone who likes dystopian or cinderella-esque stories. I think this is a general good-read and many people will enjoy it.

One Page at a Time
-Skimmy.




No comments:

Post a Comment