Monday, August 18, 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before Review

By Jenny Han     
Publication date: April 15, 2014
Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 288 pages
Source: Bought it from B&N 

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.
-Description retrieved from Goodreads



I wanted to start this blog with one of my favorite books. Honestly, I have very little negativity to offer for this book. I adore literally everything about it from the characters, to the writing and the plot. And especially, the cover, I think the cover looks really appealing. 

I probably really enjoyed this book because honestly, I could truly relate to this whole novel, well most of it. The main character is half-Korean and she mentions numerous food that are Korean which I knew what they were because I'm full Korean. The main character also has two sisters which I have, but instead of the middle child, I am instead, the youngest child. And just like Lara Jean, I had to deal with my sister leaving home to attend college, but I had to deal with two sisters leaving instead of one. I think the fact that I could connect with the character, made the novel more likable to me. 

I have no real complaint of the characters. I adored the main character because she was amusing, quirky, humorous and sweet. I thought that the main character was probably a great character. And her love interests, yep, note the s in interests. There are two love interests and you're probably going to hate one love interest, but love the other one which was how I felt. Most of the characters were appealing to me and I enjoyed them, but of course, there will be a few characters you simply dislike. 

One thing I can fawn over is the writing of the book. The author definitely captured the perfect amount of humor, wit and emotion. I love Jenny Han's writing like the way she describes stuff, she uses the right words for description. Parts I just absolutely adore is when she describes the way water is on the lettuce when they eat bo sam and the beginning of the novel when she describes a commercial. 

And this is my only negative thing which is the ending. It ended to sudden, when you want more, it just ends. Luckily, there will be a second book in 2015. But that just seems so far especially because I just want to know what happens. But honestly, I've read the book three times and I've had it for two months that just shows how much I love this book. It is on my favorites list and it will remain there because it's just one of those books you can't get tired of. 

I would definitely recommend this novel to anybody who loves contemporary because this is a must-have for YA contemporary. 

One Page at a Time
-Sarah.  



            


No comments:

Post a Comment