Saturday, June 6, 2015

I'll Give You the Sun Book Review

I'll Give You the Sun
By: Jandy Nelson
Publication Date: September 16, 2014
Dial Books, 371 pages
Source: Bought it from B&N

Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant novel from the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.

-Description retrieved from Goodreads


Sorry, I've been gone for a while. I was reading Bell Jar which is an adult novel and this blog is mostly for Young Adult so I don't feel right posting a review for it. But if you guys, want one, comment below if you do. So let's get crackin' on this novel. I've been eyeing this novel for a while because its recommended to John Green and Rainbow Rowell fans and I am definitely fans of both.

Wow, just look at the cover, its's stunning. I love it, honestly. It's vibrant and colorful, it is very eye-catching. I like the cover because I feel like it fits perfectly with the novel. It follows the theme and yeah, it is beautiful.

So onto the actual book, this was a really good book and I am quite pleased with it. It was interesting to read an alternative point of view and both point of views take place in a different setting. Jude's point of view takes place in the present while Noah's point of view occurs in the past. I think that formatting of point of view made this book more interesting and intriguing. It also allows an aura of mysterious because the reader is constantly kept in the dark, but I feel like it is easy to connect the dots as you read. So there's a big twist and I don't know if the author wanted it to be hard to know or was building up to it, she was probably building up to it, but it quite easy to predict and I figured it out. And this is me we're talking about, the girl who has a horrible time predicting or foreseeing what could possibly occur.

Character analysis time! So what did I think of the main characters? I liked both of them, they both had their flaws, mistakes and downfalls. I liked Jude a little better because she was a bit of the 'underdog' because her brother, Noah was supposed to be the artist one, but Jude turns out to have it in her as well. I like Noah as well and it is quite easy to sympathize with him as well. But some of the mean things to Jude, makes me deduct points from him. Although, I'm not saying Jude was a saint. But both of them are easily likable. Also, there's another major character, Oscar who's British and has that bad-boy-esque aura surrounding him. Oscar adds a sense of humor into the novel. Another reason, I like Jude is that I really enjoy her point of view because she's very superstitious and quirky, it is quite cute and humorous. I really liked the trio of Oscar, Jude and the artist, And a major plus, there are a bunch of swoon-worthy quotes in this novel.

I recommend this to anyone who's a big fan of contemporary and want something different from other YA novels because this book is quite different, straying from the cliches. I really enjoyed it and I feel like many other will too. It seems a general crowd pleaser.

One Page at a Time

-Skimmy.

No comments:

Post a Comment