Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Isla and The Happily Ever After Book Review

Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss #3)
By Stephanie Perkins
Publication Date: Aug 14, 2014
Dutton, 352 pages
Source: Bought it from B&N

Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on introspective cartoonist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to confront the challenges every young couple must face, including family drama, uncertainty about their college futures, and the very real possibility of being apart. 

Featuring cameos from fan-favorites Anna, Étienne, Lola, and Cricket, this sweet and sexy story of true love—set against the stunning backdrops of New York City, Paris, and Barcelona—is a swoonworthy conclusion to Stephanie Perkins’s beloved series.

-description retrieved from Goodreads



So I've actually read this book a while ago, but I never posted the review, but I had a short (actually, pretty long) hiatus and I do want to post a review on this novel. One of my goals is to re-read books and write reviews for them because there are a lot of books I like, but don't have reviews so I will start that mission soon. So let's get cracking on this review.

I think out of all of the three, this one is the one I liked the least. Obviously, the first one is my favorite, I think that one had the best plot and characters so that one was my favorite. I also really enjoyed Lola and the Boy Next Door. I thought that book was really good, but didn't capture the essence that the first book had, something felt a bit missing or off. And now the third one, it was good, don't get me wrong, but when comparing it to the other novels, it was lacking something.

I think it was honestly, the characters. I didn't like Isla as much as Lola and Anna. I didn't really connect with her. Yeah, she was nice and sweet, but I thought she was a bit obsessive with Josh to be honest. I really like characters who don't act like their whole world falls apart because some they broke it off with a guy. In Anna and the French Kiss, when St. Clair ditched her for Ellie, she found a new guy to distract and in Lola and the Boy Next Door, Lola felt like breaking up with Max was the best and needed to do a bit of rediscovery, those are reasonable and better response. But Isla was like  a bit too in love with Josh. I wasn't the biggest fan of Josh either, I thought that he was a bad influence and that he seemed like a typical guy who doesn't care about school. Isla and the Happily Ever After was a lot intense than the other novels and a lot more promiscuous. I think compare to the other couples, Isla and Josh probably was the fastest and perhaps, the least complicated because in the other novels, they had some attachment to another person. I realized now that Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door are quite similar and Isla and the Happily Ever After is kind of the outlier, a way different premise than the other novels.

Also, the covers in the first and second one are gorgeous with the main characters and then they changed it to a city scene with big bold words stamped all over it that frustrates me. It doesn't match
with the rest of the books yet they went and had to change it. I am really angry about to be honest, a lot more than I should be.

I do like that we get a last minute glance at our two previous couples and Meredith is also in this novel as well. Perkins gave us great closure, although, it could easily be assumed how the couples probably ended up with each other. I thought that Isla and the Happily Ever After was after all, a good finale, definitely different than the first two novels. But maybe she wanted to send the novels with a punch and she did. I have to say overall, I really liked the whole series and I still re-read the first two novels and I am a bit sad to see it finish yet a bit of happiness.

One Page at a Time

-Skimmy.


No comments:

Post a Comment